Sunday, December 31, 2017

A Tribute to a Surrendered Life




I never dreamed I would be sitting here writing a tribute to my friend and former pastor. Mike Ellis exhibited what a surrendered life is supposed to look like: patience, love, kindness, and above all, compassion for those who were on the fringes of society.

 I met Mike, Melanie, and their daughter Bethany around 1994, or so. I was a young man in my very early twenties, and not yet a regenerated soul. Mike had just come from Greenville, SC to take on the role of pastor at my parents' church, Geneva Park Baptist. He was still young and full of zeal, especially in evangelism. Even though I wasn't saved I kinda attended regularly with my parents—or whenever I felt like it.

My first impression of him wasn't good. I thought he was too pushy. Trying to get people to do evangelism, and me going door-to-door (Hah! Like that would ever happen) was irritating to my lost ears and heart. I stopped coming almost all together.

One by one, my brothers began hearing and responding to the gospel under Mike's ministry. My oldest brother Danny was the first to be changed by God's grace. He struggled terribly with alcohol, which seemed to be a family curse for us. Then, Bobby, and finally myself in April of 1997.

It was then that my relationship to Mike really began to take shape. I suddenly desired to start evangelizing (imagine that) and see others come the saving gospel of Jesus Christ. Mike was patient and kind with me, even when I acted immature. He never accused me, or pointed a finger, or yelled. He would simply pull me aside and explain a "better way" to handle things.

When he and his family left Virginia around 2001 to run a rescue mission in Gaffney, SC I was heart-broken.  Fortunately, God left the doors open at Geneva Park, as we were not able to find a pastor for two years! Mike's time in South Carolina ended and he landed back with us in 2003 (my dates may be off).

It was then that he began Victory Home, which is now Lifeline Rescue Ministries. The ethos of Victory Home was simple: take in men & women who were homeless, addicted to drugs or other substance, give them the gospel, and then disciple them in their new faith in order that they themselves would go out and make disciples.


Things were very hard and slow moving at first. But God blessed and the ministry grew and ended up with two thrift stores, a car wash, handyman service, and other things that helped finance the ministry.  Today, the ministry is still going. It's struggling, but still going because God used a man who poured his life into it. If you would like to give to Lifeline just use this link. I know they would appreciate it. If you live in the Tidewater area they could always use volunteers as well. 

A year ago Mike went to rest with his Savior and receive his inheritance.

Mike is one of the most passionate people I've ever met. He worked tirelessly to love those on the outskirts of society. It is because of the ministry that God used him in that gave me a love to do the same thing. This small tribute can never be enough thanks to a man that God greatly used to not only influence me, but thousands with the life-saving gospel of Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact The Laity & the Word for questions and feedback

Name

Email *

Message *