Sunday, November 26, 2017

Scripture in Context: Phiippians 4:13

Can Philippians 4:13 be claimed as a promise to do anything? Most times the verse is seen on some kind of inspirational meme, like that below.




















While the sentiment is understood this verse is one of the most abused. The verse is so abused that MMA fighters have used it on their fight posters.




Unfortunately, most people claim this verse as a promise from God to do anything without ever considering the context. They assume that the phrase, "all things," just means anything they themselves can apply it to. But the phrase has a context and it's time to take a look.


(Philippians 4:10-17) I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.


Paul is not claiming he can do all things without exception. When he states he can do all things he qualifies the word 'all' with the following statement of being content in wealth, poverty, sickness, or health. His secret is contentment––the contentment that understands that his only source of real peace comes from Christ.

This verse cannot and should not be claimed as a promise for victory to beat another person's brains out or to pass an exam that one has not studied for. Instead, it should be applied as a promise that contentment through Christ will give a person the peace they need when facing a difficult circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact The Laity & the Word for questions and feedback

Name

Email *

Message *